Thursday 10 March 2011

The White Man


WAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
WAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
WAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Just to clarify, this is the sounds of a small child bursting into tears at the first site of me. And once again it’s the sound that welcomes me as I enter a Beninese village, accompanying the loan agent to make sure my training has stuck.
“Ha ha. Yovo yovo yovo yovo”, exclaims the mother (Haha. White man white man white man). And picks up the child to force her closer to me.
WWWWWWWWAAAAAAHHHHHAAAAAHHHAAAA!!!!!!!
Smile. Yes, very funny. Haha. At least the whole village is now surrounding us and laughing along. I guess this is one way to break the ice – frightening the young children with the White Devil (even I’m starting to call myself that these days…).
Oh well. Let’s get down to business. The loan agent explains my presence, what Kiva does, and what’s needed to take a Kiva loan (a photo of the group). And the questions begin. Some tough ones in there too.
“I want a loan for less than that. Does Kiva not care about me?” (We have a minimum value here because anything less is just not worth the cost of the extra work - which would be passed on as higher interest rates).
“Can you give us a machine?”. No, that’s not what I’m here for, I’m helping to provide loans.
“Can you give us a bigger loan for a machine?”. No, your credit limit will increase following good repayment and let’s hope that one day you can get that machine.
“When you go home, ask your friends to give us a machine”. Ok, fine, if it’ll stop this line of questioning, I’ll see what I can do. That’s four village groups this week who’ve asked me this. Let’s hope my friends are feeling generous.
You see there are still some very clear rules of thumb that accompany a white man in Africa (well, in Benin – I won’t speak for the rest but I have a feeling…). They were explained to me nicely by Gilles, the credit agent in Allada, a rural town north of Cotonou.
1.       Everything that comes from the white man is good. “If you come with me and talk, they will say yes, even if they don’t understand. If it’s from the white man, they will agree. Next time when I come on my own, they will refuse”.
2.       Everything that comes from the white man is free. “If we tell them this loan comes from white people, they will think ‘great, this is aid’ and not pay it back”.
3.       The white man has A LOT of money. “Not all white people are rich?”. Depends by whose standards, but looking around here, yes, probably.
And just before I leave, the mother tries once again. For luck, I suppose.
WWWWAAAHHAHAHAHAHAAAAWWAAAAA!!!!!
It’s become something combining both crying and laughing. Sometimes I know exactly what she means.

Now, there’s a lack of photos to add to this story due to the negative reception to whipping out a massive SLR in the middle of a village meeting (I’m hoping to write my next post on the cultural factors around photos and loans generally, so more on this later). All I can do for you now is link a couple of publications I’ve made in my time here so far. Click on their names to see the full profiles!
     
Leontine


 
Mariette


Maria

No comments:

Post a Comment